An Update on Abdullah & Wahida and Their Family

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Abdullah with friends (and some familiar FUMC faces!) at his restaurant in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Back in 2012-2013, a dedicated group of FUMC members helped a refugee family from Myanmar (Burma) get settled in Boulder, and supported them for more than a year. Here is an update on this family’s amazing progress.

On July 17, 2012, Abdullah, Wahida and their one-year-old son, Azhar, arrived in Boulder from Myanmar (Burma). Their second son, Azmi, was born here August 30, 2012 (only a month after arriving.)

Here is what Abdullah wrote at the time:
“I would like to express my appreciation for this opportunity. I am fortunate to have been allowed admission into the United Stated as a legal refugee to start a new life away from the oppressive military regime of Burma. My family and I are co-sponsored by the First United Methodist Church of Boulder and the Ecumenical Immigration and Refugee Services of Colorado. It is my desire to achieve the American Dream through hard work and dedication to my job.”

Abdullah at his Fort Wayne, Indiana, restaurant.

They moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana a year after the birth of daughter, Aisha (she begins preschool this year), the cost of living there being more reasonable than in Boulder. They now own their home and are the owners of a busy restaurant, The Malaysia Hala Restaurant, along with Abdullah’s brother, Kadir!

ABDULLAH AND WAHIDA HAVE PASSED THEIR CITIZENSHIP EXAMS!!! They went through their ceremonies to become full U.S. Citizens. Wahida was sworn in in Indianapolis, and Win and Riri Win traveled to West Lafayette, Indiana, to be present for Abdullah’s ceremony on September 20, 2019. Win writes about that day:

“There were close to 1,000 people in attendance at the White Horse Christian Center, West Lafayette. It was a long event. Purduettes, women students of Purdue University sang several songs a cappella…. Inductees came from 32 countries. They were asked to come at 12 noon and they had to go through paper work in another hall. The actual proceedings bagan at 3PM. Guests were seated in another hall where cookies and water were available. There was standing room only in that large hall.”